Thursday, December 8, 2016

"When you see the need..."

I can vividly remember the time, about 6 years ago, when someone said those exact words to me. I had taken Elsie downtown to Children's Hospital for one of her many blood draws before they could declare she was HIV free. We were sitting in the waiting room--her, oblivious to what was about to happen and me, nervously awaiting and wishing a 9 month old didn't have to go through this. We were alone in the room until a lady, pushing her daughter in a wheelchair, joined us. We had only a few short minutes to chat until one of us was called back for our appointment. She was keenly aware of the fact that my skin was "peach" and my daughter's skin was "brown" (in Elsie's very own words), so it opened up a conversation about adoption. Come to find out, she was a 'seasoned adopter.' They had several children, both biological and adopted, some which were 'healthy' and some with 'special needs.' She did most of the talking since I was so new to the world of adoption, and as we said our goodbyes, she made the statement that would stick with me. "Things are not always easy, but when you see the need, you do what you gotta do!"

I think that's where my family is. As we are preparing for this adoption, we are learning about the challenges as well as the blessings. We read stories of how difficult the transition was for some children--to leave everything they've ever known to start over. The fear they experience at being picked up by almost complete strangers can be numbing. We hear how some families and kids struggle in relationship as they learn to love and trust each other. For some, adjustment begins almost immediately. For others, it can take months or even years until things settle into a comfortable normal. As we charter into this unknown, we know we have a sovereign God who loves and guides us. We're not crazy. (Well, I don't think we are...) Not only are we willing, we are EXCITED to let go of some of our comfort so that someone else might see the unconditional love of Christ.

1 comment: